Tuesday, April 3, 2018

“Smita” means “Smile”

RESTITUTION OF CONJUGAL RIGHTS – Part 1
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

“Your name really suits you…” I said.

“Really…?” she exclaimed.

“Yes. “Smita” means “Smile” – a girl who a smiles a lot – a forever smiling lady – like you…” I said to her.

“Thank you so much…” she said, giving me a sweet smile, which really enhanced her beauty.

We sat opposite each other.

I was looking at her with undisguised admiration.

She blushed – and she said to me:

“You’ve come quite a bit early. Your friend has gone for his Sunday Morning Golf. He should be back by 11:30…”

“I know. I wanted to speak to you. Alone…” I said to her.

“Me…?”

“Yes – I want to hear your side of the story…”

“Oh – so you’ve heard the wife’s version – the husband’s version – and now – you want to hear what the “other woman” has to say…”

“Please don’t say that…”

“But that’s what all his Navy friends call me – even worse things…”

“Not me…”

“Yes – you are his only Navy friend who hasn’t ostracized him. Everyone else – even their wives – they treat us like “outcasts” – they have socially boycotted us…”

“He is a good man – very helpful – he was very kind to me during my Navy days…”

“I know. He has been good to me – especially when I was in trouble – he gave me shelter when I was homeless – I will never forget that gesture…”

“Tell me – how did it happen…? How did you move in with him…?”

“I came to Mumbai around 2 years ago – I rented the flat next to his – we were next door neighbours…”

“Was his wife living with him then…?”

“No – she had already gone to the US – to live with her daughter…”

“So – he was living all alone…”

“Yes…”

“Then – what happened…?”

“Nothing happened. We were just neighbours – that’s all. Well – being a retired man – he was home all day – so – he would collect my couriers, online-shopping stuff – that’s all…”

“That’s all…?”

“Yes – we had a purely neighbourly relationship. Of course – as we got to know each other better – we would go out once in a while – for shopping, for a movies or he would take me to his club…”

“Oh – so – you were friends…”

“Yes – you can say that. Tell me – can’t a 60 year old man and a 40 year old woman be friends…?”

“Of course…”

“Well – he was a “forced bachelor” – and I was a “single woman” – with no friends in Mumbai…”

“Single…?”

“I never married…” she said.

I smiled.

“I know why you are smiling…?” she said.

To Be Continued…

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

Disclaimer:
All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the story are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: