Wednesday, April 18, 2018

A “Package Deal”

A “PACKAGE DEAL”
Fiction Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

“We kept telling you. You should have gone to an “Immigration Adviser” – but you were adamant on doing everything yourself – so – you didn’t listen to our advice. At least now – you better consult some good Immigration Adviser…” all my friends said to me. 

So – the very next morning – I sat in front of an “Immigration Adviser” – she was a “Kiwi-Indian” woman.

As she went through my papers – I looked at her.

She was a beautiful woman and she looked very graceful and elegant in her formal dress.

I liked the way her hair fell over her shoulders.

I liked her nose, slightly turned up, slender and feminine – as if accustomed to smell nothing but perfumes.

I liked her mouth – small – but with juicy lips – and – I loved her rich, glowing complexion.

She looked very inviting and I was attracted to her.

Yes – she looked so tempting that I could not take my eyes off her.

Maybe – she sensed that I was ogling at her – so she suddenly looked up – and noticing my look of undisguised admiration – she smiled at me – a very sweet smile.

I saw that her eyes were extremely beautiful – velvety, mesmerizing eyes.

“You came to Auckland 5 years ago – on a Student Visa – a Pathway Student Visa. You wanted to settle down in New Zealand using the Student Pathway…?” she asked me.

“Yes…” I said.

“You studied for more than 3 years – you completed 3 courses – one after the other. Why…?”

“I wanted to clock time – and gain New Zealand Qualifications too – to make it easier for me to get Residency…”

“So – you came to New Zealand on a student visa – with the aim of moving to a work visa afterwards – and ultimately gaining permanent residency…?”

“Yes. My ultimate aim is to become a citizen of New Zealand…” I said.

“Yes – that is the aim of all immigrants…” the Immigration Adviser said.

Then – the Immigration Adviser looked at my documents – and she said:

“You were on a Post Study Work Visa for almost one year before you got an Employer Assisted Work Visa. Why did it take you so long…? Didn’t you get a job…?”

“I didn’t get a proper job – I had to do all sorts of work to survive – I had to do even menial jobs – I did cleaning jobs – worked as a petrol pump attendant – washed cars – drove taxis – worked as a pick-packer in warehouses and even in freezing cold storages…”

“But – why didn’t you get a job after all your qualifications…?”

“I realized that all these qualifications were of no use…”

“No use…?”

“Yes – Pakehas (New Zealanders of European Ancestry) – well – “Pakehas” wanted “New Zealand Experience” – and “Kiwi-Indians” wanted to exploit us…”

“I know. It is sad – but immigrant students are being exploited by employers in their own ethnic communities. I have heard of many cases where Indian Immigrants were exploited by “Kiwi-Indians” (Indians who have got New Zealand Citizenship)…”

“Yes. It is terrible. “Pakeha New Zealander Kiwis” don’t want us – and “Kiwi-Indians” exploit our vulnerability – because they know that we want to stay on here at any cost – in the hope of getting long term residency…”

“So – after a wait of one year you finally did get an Employer Assisted Work Visa – with a “Kiwi-Indian” Employer…?”

“Yes…”

“It says that you were employed as a “Manager”…”

“That’s only on paper – actually they treated us like “bonded labour” – they made us do all sorts of work – and they even did not pay us the minimum wages…”

“If things were so bad here – you could have gone back to India…”

“How can I go back to India…? It will be a total loss of face for me. I am determined to stay here in New Zealand – at any cost…”

“At any cost…?”

“Yes. I want permanent residency – and then – citizenship…”

“But there is a problem. You have spent 5 years in New Zealand – 3 Years as a student – 1 year on an open work visa – 2 years on an employer assisted work visa – and normally – you should have been given a skilled migrant visa – but sadly – it seems your skills are no longer on the “Skill Shortage List”…”

“So what do you advise…?”

“Well – since you don’t have a resident visa – you will have to go back once your work visa expires…”

“I cannot go back to India – I told you – I want to stay here – at any cost…”

“At any cost…?”

“Yes. Please find some way…”

“There is one way…”

“Really…? Tell me. I am willing to do anything…”

“You can try for a “Partner of a New Zealander” Resident Visa…”

“What…? “Partner” Visa…?”

“If you are the “partner” of a New Zealand citizen or resident – you can apply to live in New Zealand permanently. If you are granted residence – you can live and work in New Zealand indefinitely….”

“Oh…?”

“So – you will have to find a “partner” who is a Citizen or Permanent Resident…”

“Partner…?”

“Well – here – they are quite liberal about the definition of “partnership” – but it is better if you are legally married to your partner…”

“Are you advising me to get married to a New Zealander…?”

“Well – you said you want to stay here “at any cost” – didn’t you…? If you try hard – you may find some “Kiwi-Indian” girl who is a citizen or resident. There are some other requirements and formalities – but you leave all that to me. You just find a nice “Kiwi-Indian” girl who is ready to marry you…”

“But – where do I search for such a girl…?”

“Actually – you don’t need to look very far…”

“What do you mean…?”

“I mean – there is no need for you to go in search of a suitable bride – maybe she is sitting right in front of you…” 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)
     
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
 

No comments: