Monday, July 3, 2017

The Lady Who Was Proud of Her Own Identity – Story of My Navy Days

One of my favourite “girlfriends” is a “faujan” – a military wife – a young smart erudite beautiful lady – who is highly creative and talented. 

The best thing I like about her is that she has maintained her own distinct identity – she uses her maiden name – she is proud of her own achievements she does not need the “crutches” of her husband’s military rank/appointment – and – she is determined to prove herself and accomplish her creative goals on the strength of her own merit. 

We had an excellent discussion on creative writing recently – and – while I talked to her – I was reminded of this story from my Navy Days...

INTRODUCTIONS TO LADIES
Story of My Navy Days
A Spoof
By
VIKRAM KARVE

This happened in the 1970’s – around 40 years ago – when I reported to a Frigate – my first ship – as a young Sub-Lieutenant.

I reported to the warship in Mumbai – and – in the evening – there was a party in the ship’s wardroom.

Ladies had also been invited to the party – so – all the “lady wives” of the married officers were present for the party.

Navy Social Etiquette requires that a “Gentleman (Officer) is always introduced to a Lady…”

So – the PMC took me to the ladies – and – he introduced me to the ladies.

In response – the ladies started introducing themselves to me.

“Hello – I am Mrs. “AAA” – the Captain’s wife…”

“Hello – I am Mrs. “BBB” – the Commander’s wife…”

“Hello – I am Mrs. “CCC” – the Engineer-Officer’s wife…”

And – all the ladies introduced themselves accordingly – stating their husband’s name and rank/appointment.

Suddenly – one young lady introduced herself differently:

“Hi – I am Dr. “XXX” – I am a Lecturer at “YYY” College – I teach English Literature…”

I was impressed.

Here was a lady who had an identity of her own – she did not need the “crutches” of her husband’s military rank/appointment.


PS: 

This happened 40 years ago – so – it was unique to see a “military wife” asserting her own identity. 

Nowadays – with the proliferation of “career wives” in the defence services – most “military wives” have their own independent identity – and many wives even retain their maiden names. 


VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved. 

Disclaimer:
1. This is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

This story was written by me in April 2017 and Posted Online earlier by me Vikram Karve in  my Blog under the title INTRODUCTIONS TO LADIES at url: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2017/04/introductions-to-ladies.html

No comments: