Friday, June 30, 2017

Story of a “Chapati”

STORY OF A “CHAPATI”
Food Fiction
By
VIKRAM KARVE

I am a “Chapati”.

If you live in India – I am sure you have seen (and eaten) a “Chapati”.

A “Chapati” is an unleavened flatbread made of whole wheat flour (Atta), salt and water.

Dear Reader:

To help you understand better – I took a “Selfie” – along with a few of my fellow “Chapati” friends.

I am posting my “Selfie” picture below for you to see. 

CHAPATI

Now – Dear Reader – you must be wondering how a “Chapati” can tell a story – but – here I am – telling you my story – so you better believe me – and read my story.

I came into existence just a few hours ago when a young woman made me on a “Tawa” (she made me along with 3 other “Chapatis” – she made a total of 4 “Chapatis”)

The young woman who made me – she is the “daughter-in-law” of the house.

Three persons live here – the young “daughter-in-law” – her husband – and her husband’s widowed mother – the “mother-in-law” of the young woman who made the “Chapati”.

In the afternoon – at 12 Noon – for lunch – the “daughter-in-law” made 4 Fresh Hot “Chapatis” (including me).

The young woman made 2 “Chapatis” for her “mother-in-law” – and – 2 “Chapatis” for herself.

But – the “mother-in-law” ate only one “Chapati” – so – three “Chapatis” were eaten up – and – one “Chapati” – Me – I remained “un-eaten” – in the casserole.

One hour later – at around one o’clock in the afternoon – the “Darling Daughter” of the “mother-in-law” arrived unexpectedly.

(Yes – you guessed right – the woman who landed up suddenly – she was the daughter-in-law’s husband’s sister – the mother-in-law’s daughter).

The “Darling Daughter” said she was a bit hungry – of course – since she was “dieting” – she wanted just a “small bite”.

The dutiful “Daughter-in-Law” put some Vegetable Curry in a plate – and – she took out the remaining “Chapati” – Me – from the casserole.

“Why are you giving my daughter a stale “Chapati”…?” the “mother-in-law” shouted at the “daughter-in-law”.

“This is not a stale “Chapati” – I made it only one hour ago…” the “daughter-in-law” said to her “mother-in-law”.

“You don’t argue with me – you just make a fresh “Chapati” for my daughter – do you understand…?” the “mother-in-law” scolded the “daughter-in-law”.

So – the obedient “daughter-in-law” dutifully made a fresh “Chapati” for the “Darling Daughter” of her “mother-in-law”.

And – I remained “un-eaten” in the casserole.

In the evening – the “daughter-in-law” was wondering what to make for dinner – when her husband called up saying that he would be having dinner with a client and coming home late at night.

The “mother-in-law” had gone out “shopping” with her “Darling Daughter – and – she must had plenty of “snacks” – so – when the “mother-in-law” returned in the evening – she said that she was not hungry and would like to have fruits and milk at night.

The obedient “daughter-in-law” chopped some fruit and gave them to her “mother-in-law” along with a glass of milk.

Then – the “daughter-in-law” decided to eat a fresh “Chapati” for her own dinner – so – she started preparations to make a fresh hot “Chapati” for herself.

“What are you doing…?” the “mother-in-law” asked the “daughter-in-law”.

“I am making a “Chapati” for myself…” the “daughter-in-law” said.

“Why are you wasting Atta making a fresh “Chapati”…? There is one “Chapati” left over from the afternoon – isn’t it…?” the “mother-in-law” asked the “daughter-in-law”.

“But – that is a stale “Chapati”…” the “daughter-in-law” said.

“What nonsense…? A “Chapati” remains fresh for 24 hours – and that “Chapati” was made in the afternoon – only 9 hours ago. So – you will eat that “Chapati”. Do you understand…?” the “mother-in-law” said to the “daughter-in-law”.

So – the meek “daughter-in-law” took me out the casserole – and she put me on her plate.

Then – looking at me – the “daughter-in-law” said to herself:

“Wonder of wonders – the same “Chapati” – it becomes “stale” only one hour after it is made – and then – it becomes “fresh” once again – 9 hours later…”

And then – the “daughter-in-law” ate me up. 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
1. This story is a fictional spoof, satire, pure fiction, just for fun and humor, no offence is meant to anyone, so take it with a pinch of salt and have a laugh.
2. All Stories in this Blog are a work of fiction. Events, Places, Settings and Incidents narrated in the stories are a figment of my imagination. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Copyright Notice:
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.

Copyright © Vikram Karve (all rights reserved)

No comments: