Saturday, December 3, 2016

Does Love have a Utility Value...?

WHAT IS THE UTILITY VALUE OF LOVE
Musings of a Veteran
By
VIKRAM KARVE

In materialistic world of today 
 you must have a motive for doing something. 

You must “gain” something from doing an activity.

After all  you are investing your precious time, talent and effort in the activity.

So  you must get your RETURN ON INVESTMENT (ROI)

If you spend your time and effort pursuing some activity  there must be some material motive for doing that.

There is a utility value attached to everything.

You are expected to gain something  it can be POWER, WEALTH or FAME.

It is mostly Wealth or Money. 

Yes  in most cases the motive is MONEY (Wealth).

Many people ask me why I am wasting all my time and so much effort Blogging and Writing  when the same time and effort could be put to “good” use by me doing something worthwhile to earn money. 

“You spend so much time and effort blogging... they say. 

And then 
 they ask me: What do you gain from blogging...? 

Why don't you monetize your blog...?” other well-wishers say, “at least you will earn some money for your efforts. 

Is the aim of education solely to get a job...? 

Yes  that is the utility value of education. 

But what about the joys of learning...? 

Doesn't education expose you to the joys of learning...?

Why can
t people understand that a person can do something for the sheer enjoyment of doing it 
 without any material gain or ulterior motive. 

Another person used to asked me why I spent so much time with my pet dog Sherry and looked after her so lovingly.

“Are you making money by selling her pups..? he asked – and he was surprised when I told him that I did not have any intention of mating my dog.

Maybe he had seen some persons who keep dogs as a business and as a means to make money by breeding them.

He could not believe it when I told him that I keep a dog just for the sheer love the dog bestows on me.

“But  what is the use of love...? What do you gain from love...? 

What is the use of love...? 

What do I gain from love...? 

Well – love creates positive vibes in me – love generates inner happiness.

Why do we try and analyse the utility value in each and every thing  even love...?

Does love have a utility value...?

What is the utility value of love...?

Let me quote an Urdu couplet I heard long back. 

(I cannot translate it exactly – but I will try to give you the gist)

Someone asked a lover:


इश्क का क्या फायदा  (What do you gain from love...?)


The lover replied:


फायदे का क्या फायदा  (What do you gain from gain...?)


Why do we look for profit or reward in anything we do...? 

Why do we have expectations in a relationship...?

Yes  even in relationships we see a utility value.

Why do we always expect a RETURN ON INVESTMENT...? 

Why can't we do something just for the sake of doing it 
 for the sheer enjoyment of that activity  just like we do  in the case of true love or इश्क 

Do we look for Return on Investment when we love someone...? 

What do you gain from love...? 

What do you gain from gain”...?


इश्क का क्या फायदा  ?

फायदे का क्या फायदा  ?


Would some connoisseur of Urdu Sher-Shairi  (philosophical poet) be so good as to translate and interpret this couplet for us in a better way please. 

Dear Reader: 

Do you look for utility value in everything...? 

I eagerly await your comments. 

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
1. If you share this post, please give due credit to the author Vikram Karve
2. Please DO NOT PLAGIARIZE. Please DO NOT Cut/Copy/Paste this post
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

This is a revised repost of my article written by me Vikram Karve 6 years ago in 2010 and posted by me online earlier a number of times in my blogs including at urls: http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2013/03/what-is-utility-value-of-love.html  and  http://karvediat.blogspot.in/2012/05/what-do-you-gain-from-blogging.html  and  http://creative.sulekha.com/what-do-you-gain-from-love-why-do-we-have-expectations-in-a-relationship_88231_blog etc

No comments: