Tuesday, January 14, 2014

PLANNING FOR RETIREMENT

NAVY LIFE and BEYOND – FIRST INNINGS and SECOND INNINGS

PLANNING FOR RETIREMENT
Incoherent Ramblings of a Retired Mind
By
VIKRAM KARVE

RETIREMENT PLANNING MANTRA

A few days ago I met an ex-shipmate who is still serving in the Indian Navy but is going to retire soon.

Since I am “retired” for a few years now, he asked me about life after retirement.

‘Life is just the same,’ I said.

‘What are you saying, Sir? Life is just the same? How can that be? Are you telling me that nothing has changed after retirement?’ he asked.

‘Yes,’ I said, ‘Life is just the same after retirement as it was before.’

‘But how is that possible? How can retired life be the same as navy life?’

‘Well, at least for me, nothing has changed – I am doing the same thing after retirement that I used to do while in service,’ I said.

‘You do the same thing after retirement that you did while in the navy? I don’t understand? You do the same work that you did in the navy? Which job is this? Sir, please tell me – I am curious – exactly what do you do?’

I looked at my “about to retire” navy friend and said nonchalantly:

NOTHING – I do “nothing”. When I was serving in the navy I was busy doing “nothing” wearing uniform – now I am busy doing “nothing” wearing civilian clothes.’


MORAL OF THE STORY

The foundation of a happy retired life is good retirement planning.

And the Best Retirement Planning Mantra is:

Learn to do “nothing” while still in service

If you can achieve this, your second innings will be as joyful as your first innings.



Disclaimer:

These are my personal views. Try this retirement mantra at your own risk after due diligence.

VIKRAM KARVE
Copyright © Vikram Karve 
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this work. 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

Disclaimer:
All stories in this blog are a work of fiction. The characters do not exist and are purely imaginary. Any resemblance to persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.
NB
No part of this Blog may be reproduced or utilized in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical including photocopying or by any information storage and retrieval system, without permission in writing from the Blog Author Vikram Karve who holds the copyright.
Copyright © Vikram Karve (All Rights Reserved)

© vikram karve., all rights reserved.

No comments: