Wednesday, June 27, 2012

a QUICK BITE at QUICK BITE


a QUICK BITE at QUICK BITE
A Very Short Story
By
VIKRAM KARVE

From my creative archives: a flash fiction story I wrote a few years ago 
 

I am having a quick bite at Quick Bite…! 
 
Hey, I’m not trying to be funny.

“Quick Bite” is the fast food joint opposite our office complex where we often rush out to have a ‘Quick Bite’. 
 
I sit at a table for two, concluding my quick bite with a cup of coffee, when I see the office macho-man Raj enter Quick Bite for a quick bite.  

His eyes search for a vacant table but the place is jam-packed.
  
He looks in my direction and I beckon him to sit on the vacant chair opposite me.   

As Raj settles down I ask him, “All alone…? Where is your girlfriend…?”
 
“Girlfriend…?” he asks.
 
“Rita…” I say. 

“Rita is no longer my girlfriend…” he says.
 
"Really?" I interrupt, “That's great. It is good you dumped that shameless nympho.”

“Shameless nympho?” he asks.  

“Musical Beds - Ha Ha - Musical Beds” I say laughing.  

“Musical Beds?” he asks.  

“Ha, Ha … That’s what we called her in college … that nympho Rita … Musical Beds … just like we play Musical Chairs … Rita plays Musical Beds … but let me tell you Raj … you’ve done the wisest thing by dumping Rita,” I say, and I hurriedly gulp down the remains of my coffee.
 
Raj looks at me with a perplexed expression on his face, but I am in a hurry, and I have got a lot of work to do, so I quickly get up, pat his shoulder, and rush back towards my office. 
 
Suddenly I see Rita talking to my colleague Chanchal near the entrance.

Chanchal waves out and calls me so I go towards them.

“Hey, you know what?” my chatterbox colleague Chanchal says excitedly the moment I come near them.  

“What?” I ask.

“Rita and Raj got married yesterday. It was a very sudden secret hush-hush affair – parents’ opposition, you know. That's why they didn't tell anybody, ” Chanchal says.

“Really?” I ask surprised.

“Yes,” Rita looks at me and says, “I am no longer your friend Raj’s girlfriend. Now, I am his wife.” 
 
With these words, Rita turns around with a flourish and walks towards Quick Bite for a quick bite with Raj.


VIKRAM KARVE 
Copyright © Vikram Karve 2012
Vikram Karve has asserted his right under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 to be identified as the author of this book review.
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.
Did you like this review?
I am sure you will like the 27 short stories from my recently published anthology of Short Fiction COCKTAIL 

To order your COCKTAIL please click any of the links below:
http://www.flipkart.com/cocktail-vikram-karve-short-stories-book-8191091844?affid=nme
http://www.indiaplaza.in/cocktail-vikram-karve/books/9788191091847.htm
http://www.apkpublishers.com/books/short-stories/cocktail-by-vikram-karve.html


COCKTAIL ebook
If you prefer reading ebooks on Kindle or your ebook reader, please order Cocktail E-book by clicking the links below:
AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005MGERZ6
SMASHWORDS
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/87925

Foodie Book:  Appetite for a Stroll
If your are a Foodie you will like my book of Food Adventures APPETITE FOR A STROLL. Do order a copy from FLIPKART:
http://www.flipkart.com/appetite-stroll-vikram-karve/8190690094-gw23f9mr2o
About Vikram Karve

A creative person with a zest for life, Vikram Karve is a retired Naval Officer turned full time writer. Educated at IIT Delhi, ITBHU Varanasi, The Lawrence School Lovedale and Bishops School Pune, Vikram has published two books: COCKTAIL a collection of fiction short stories about relationships (2011) and APPETITE FOR A STROLL a book of Foodie Adventures (2008) and is currently working on his novel and a book of vignettes and short fiction. An avid blogger, he has written a number of fiction short stories, creative non-fiction articles on a variety of topics including food, travel, philosophy, academics, technology, management, health, pet parenting, teaching stories and self help in magazines and published a large number of professional research papers in journals and edited in-house journals for many years, before the advent of blogging. Vikram Karve has taught at a University as a Professor for 15 years and now teaches as a visiting faculty and devotes most of his time to creative writing. Vikram Karve lives in Pune India with his family and muse - his pet dog Sherry with whom he takes long walks thinking creative thoughts.
Vikram Karve Academic and Creative Writing Journal: http://karvediat.blogspot.in
Professional Profile Vikram Karve: http://www.linkedin.com/in/karve
Vikram Karve Facebook Page:  https://www.facebook.com/vikramkarve
Vikram Karve Creative Writing Blog: http://vikramkarve.sulekha.com/blog/posts.htm
Email: vikramkarve@sify.com
 
© vikram karve., all rights reserved.


4 comments:

pradipwritenow said...

VIKRAM JI Salute for your so nice short story. It may be cited as an example for a short story.

Lost and Found said...

LOL! Absolutely hilarious! Where do you get such brilliant ideas? Hats off!

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Lost and Found - I observe things happen - yes it is hilarious - once I heard someone talking about his ex to her husband (both were ignorant) and got this idea for a story

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Pradip - life is short and sweet and has a funny side too