Monday, September 5, 2011

FRIENDSHIP


BENEFICIAL FRIENDSHIP AND HARMFUL FRIENDSHIP
A Philosophical Approach
By
VIKRAM KARVE

I invest in books. 
 
Just like some other investments, where one invests and forgets about it for years, sometimes I buy a book and may not read it for years.

Whenever I buy a book, I always write the date and place of purchase. 
 
This morning while I was cleaning my bookcase, I came across a book titled A Source Book in Chinese Philosophy which I had picked up on 26 Jan 2003 at the annual Strand Book Fair at Churchgate Mumbai. I opened a random page and here is the gem of ancient wisdom that I read the following words about types of Friendship:

Confucius said:
 
There are three kinds of Friendship which are Beneficial and three kinds of Friendship which are Harmful.

Friendship with the Upright, with the Truthful, and with the well-informed is beneficial.

Friendship with those who flatter, with those who are meek and who compromise with principles, and with those who talk cleverly is harmful.

So, dear reader, while selecting who to befriend, bear in mind the above analect of Confucius.  

Well I always believe that it is best to have a philosophical approach to life. So I am going to read this book of ancient wisdom, and, from time to time, I will share with you some gems of ancient wisdom with you in my blog.

VIKRAM KARVE

2 comments:

Bhavna said...

wise men say wise things.....its quite true but sometimes its very difficult to distinguish, please try to post more from the book it seems interesting. Even I have a habit of writing the date when I receive/buy a book it just brings back memories....thanks for sharing and you have a wonderful blog :)

Vikram Waman Karve said...

@ Bhavna - Thanks for your nice words. I will certainly post some more "philosophy". Do read my blog and comment - I will look forward to your feedback. You have an interesting blog (and a lovely photo blog too). Keep Blogging.
Regards
Vikram