Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Rendezvous with “Cocktail-short stories about relationships”.

Rendezvous with “Cocktail-short stories about relationships”.

One cannot imagine the amount of entertainment quotient Mr. Vikram Karve has. This is not just felt, but also seen and hence proved.
I may not be an avid blogger, but I definitely like to read the works of some of my chosen fellow bloggers on a regular basis, out of which Mr. Karve’s blogs are a must read for me. His blogs aptly describe that he is indeed a teacher by vocation, a creative writer by inclination and a foodie by passion. Most of his blogs, be it either the Mulla Nassruddin ones, which teach a lot with brevity or his extensive delectable journeys that he loves to undertake, to attain that gastronomic bliss, speak volumes about him and his passion.
So when I had become a regular with his blogs I knew what he would be like. On our very first meeting, I was under the impression of meeting a cheerful man in his fifties, who would be absolutely mad about food and indeed, I was so right, except for just one tiny thing. I didn’t know that he would turn out to have such a terrific sense of humor!
We met, at his favorite joint “Polka Dots” and without any more delay we exchanged greetings and jumped onto his verbose roller coaster ride. Oh what fun I and my husband had! I never knew a man could be so entertaining, honest and have such childlike innocence at the same time, that too on the very first meet. He did not stop since the word ‘Go’. And we were totally thrilled for those three hours that we spent together. And of course, we had lots of good food to keep us thrilled all the time as well. Thanks to the man again.
Let me tell my readers, I met him for the book titled “Cocktail-short story about relationships”. He had the book ready, with a proud flourish showing that snazzy handwriting that said “Happy reading Malavika”. I was instantly glad to hold a book that was straight from the writer and that too with a personalized quote.
The book is a collection of short stories and does full justice to the title chosen. Dealing in relationships mostly under the urban backdrop, each story has a real life feel to it. Every story, imparts an emotional touch or maybe one can say, a distant, yet very endearing feeling of nostalgia. This book is good for all those who love to read romance and related subjects. Though bold at times, the characters aptly voice their romantic dilemma or concern with brevity and integrity that seems very real and practical at times too.
The author has voiced the various permutations and combinations of the thought processes of people, through his characters, who are already into a relationship or are inclined towards having one. It deals with romantic liaisons, in and out of the institution of marriage. Right from the cupid lovers, love at first sight, extra-marital affairs to the bored married couple living a monotonous routine life, this book revolves around all.
The stories are told with a lot of action and mystery and at times with abrupt endings too, but still, the thrill makes up for it in most of the stories. For instance, my favorite is “A lazy hot afternoon in Mumbai”, which talks about pursuing one’s dream in order to lead a fulfilling life. The other ones which I love to read are “ Best of both the worlds”, “Parting gift”, “Rendezvous at sunrise”, “ Lovedale”, “Equations”, “Chilled beer” and of course “Cocktail” and “Opposite of love”, which are simply hilarious and show the funnier side of the author perfectly.
The book is a perfect read for those lazy afternoons or those before-sleep-light reads that soothe and relax, without putting much pressure on the grey cells, allowing the brain to absorb everything and also get entertained with ease.
I hope my fellow readers also read and let others know about the book. As for Mr. Karve, I will be looking forward to read another book of his, with another autograph and lots of wordy entertainment.

No comments: